Comment on page
Learning Event Types
Event Types describe all the different things you might include in scheduled events managed through Elentra. Examples include lectures, labs, directed independent learning, exams, lunch, etc. and the list of event types is customizable per organization. Event types are used several ways:
- any event added to a schedule must have an event type defined; you can add multiple event types to one scheduled event
- the audience of an event will see the event type
- the Learning Event Types by Course Report uses event type to summarize the use of different events types within a course
Selecting an event type for an event
- You must be logged in as an Admin user to manage event types.
- Navigate to Admin > System Settings.
- If you have multiple organizations, click the name of the organization for which you want to manage event types.
- Click 'Learning Event Types' from the left sidebar. A list of existing event types will be displayed.
- Click 'Add Event Type' to add a new event type.
- Complete the required fields, noting the following:
- Event Type Name: This is what will display to administrative users setting up events and to the audience of an event.
- Event Type Colour: Check this box is you want to set a default color for events of this type. This color will be used on the dashboard calendar.
- Since there are multiple places where you can set color for events (e.g., on individual events, at the course level, and via the database), Elentra will apply event color using the following: use individual event color, course color, default color (if set via database setting), event type color.
- Event Type Description: This field is optional, however it is visible to administrative users when they create events so you may wish to provide it. When users add events to the system through Admin > Manage Events, they can mouseover event types and view the provided description (see above).
- Workload Multipliers: This required field will default to one. The options allow you to define a workload for the event type (e.g. lecture = 1.5, TBL = 2) per user group (faculty and learner). There are no existing reports in Elentra that include this information, but it can be collected to allow organizations to calculate faculty workforce hours, estimate learner workload, etc. outside of Elentra.
- MedBiquitous Mappings: Allows you to map event types to specific MedBiquitous instrcutional methods, assessment methods, and resources. This information is used in the AAMC Curriculum Inventory Report.
- MedBiquitous Instructional Method: You can map a single MedBiquitous instructional method to an event type. Any event type that is not mapped to a MedBiquitous instructional method will be omitted from the AACM CIR. Mappings do not show on learning events.
- Note that currently once you select a MedBiquitous instructional method for an event type you can't deselect it. If you selected an instructional method by accident you can scroll down and click Cancel.
- You can edit the list of MedBiquitous instructional methods in Admin > System Settings.
- MedBiquitous Assessment Methods: You can map multiple assessment methods to a learning event type. When you do this, those assessment methods will automatically be added to any events created using that event type and you can optionally delete assessment methods that are not needed for a specific event from the Event's Content tab.
- You can edit the list of MedBiquitous assessment methods in Admin > System Settings.
- MedBiquitous Resources: You can map multiple resources to a learning event type. When you do this, those resources will automatically be added to any events created using that event type and you can optionally delete resources that are not needed for a specific event from the Event's Content tab.
- You can edit the list of MedBiquitous resources in Admin > System Settings
- Click 'Save'.
- The newly added assessment characteristic will now appear on the event types list.
- To modify an existing event type, click on it.
- Edit it as needed and click 'Save'.
- To delete an existing event type, click the checkbox beside the event type you wish to delete.
- Click 'Delete Selected'.
- Confirm your choice.
- You will be returned to the list of event types.
Sample MedBiquitous mapping for an event type
Viewing the mapped MedBiquitous resources and assessment methods on Event Content tab
Event audience view of event type
Learning Event Types by Course Report