Competency-Based Medical Education
If your institution is new to competency-based medical education (CBME), especially in the context of Canadian PG programs, please read this additional learning module to prepare to launch CBME with Elentra.
The Competency-Based Medical Education module allows institutions to import Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) and map them to Key Competencies, Enabling Competencies and Milestones. In turn, this allows the creation of assessment tools and the collection of learner performance data, all tied to EPAs.
Different institutions will use Elentra differently as they transition to CBME. There are some CBME features that rely on the use of other parts of Elentra, however, using CBME without any additional features (e.g. rotation scheduling), you will be able to:
- map EPAs, competencies and milestones,
- use supervisor, procedure and field note form templates to create assessment forms users can initiate on demand,
- create periodic performance assessment (PPA) and rubric forms that are linked to EPAs (and also available on demand),
- allow faculty, learners and staff to initiate assessment forms on demand,
- store and report on learner performance data based using the CBME individual dashboard,
- create EPA-based assessment plans for each course/program which allows use of the CBME program dashboard,
- assign faculty as competence committee members and academic advisors,
- log meeting information for each resident,
- promote learners through stages, and,
- collect feedback from learners on completed assessment forms.
Sample of a learner CBME Dashboard as viewed by a Program Coordinator
If you wish to create additional forms for assessment or evaluation purposes, use the clinical rotation scheduler, or schedule individual learning events, resources for those actions are also available on this site at the following links:
Assessment and Evaluation (used to create and distribute additional forms like course or faculty evaluations) Clinical Rotation Schedule (used to schedule learners into clinical rotations - note this will allow use of some additional learner tools in the CBME module) Scheduling Learning Events (used to schedule events like academic half days)