Comment on page
A list of departments, divisions, faculties, schools or units can be maintained in Elentra and applied in user profiles. This information is in turn used in some reporting tools (e.g. Faculty Teaching Report By Department).
If you import users using a CSV, you can include a column for department and add multiple departments as needed.
- Log in as Medtech:Admin or Staff:Admin.
- Navigate to Admin>System Settings.
- Click on the name of the organisation you want to manage departments for.
- Click 'Departments' from the left sidebar.
- Click 'Add Department' to add a new entry.
- Complete the required information noting the following: Department Type: You can select a department type from a dropdown menu. The options include department, division, faculty, school, and unit. There is no user interface to change this list.
- Click 'Save'.
- To delete existing entries, click the checkbox beside the item name and then scroll down and click 'Delete Selected'; confirm your choice.
The list of departments will display alphabetically.
As of Elentra ME 1.12 there is no user interface to link departments and divisions. There is space in the database to create a relationship between a department and its affiliated divisions and a developer with access to the database can do this work if it is required by your organisation. In a user profile you can assign someone to multiple departments and divisions in order to show their multiple affiliations.
Each department can configure custom profile fields to collect additional information from their members. This allows an administrator to define the custom profile field in terms of the type of information to collect and then create a space in the user's profile for them to provide said information.
Interface to add a custom profile field
- In an administrator role, navigate to Admin>System Settings, pick the appropriate organization if required, and click Department from the left sidebar.
- Click on the appropriate department.
- Click Department Profile Fields
- Click Add Field
- Provide the relevant information, noting the following:
- Field Type allows you to customize how information can be collected. The options are:
- Rich text
- Plain text
- One Line text
- External URL (e.g. for people to provide a link to their research project page)
- Indicate using the checkbox if this custom field will be required
- Click Add
- The newly created field will display on a list of custom profile fields. You can edit, delete, or reorder the custom profile fields using the pencil and trash icons, or the Reorder button.
User interface for defining a custom field
Users can complete their custom profile fields in their user profile, accessible by clicking on the user's name in the top right. Within their profile tab options, they will see a Department Specific Information tab and can provide the required information there. In the example below, there is a one line text item.