Comment on page
When you create assessment and evaluation items you will have the option of applying rating scales to certain item types; creating rating scales promotes consistency across items and can be a time saver for the administrative staff creating items and forms.
You must be a medtech:admin user to manage rating scales.
- Used on Assessment and Evaluation items
- Used with Competency-Based Education when displaying assessment information on the Learner Dashboard
- Global Assessment
- Used on Competency-Based Education forms and form templates
- MS/EC (Milestone/Enabling Competency)
- Used on Competency-Based Education Supervisor Form Templates
Please note that if you have created a second organization within your Elentra installation, you will need a developer's help to add the rating scale types to your organization.
- Navigate to Admin>Assessment and Evaluation.
- Click 'Scales' from the A&E tabs list. Any existing rating scales will be displayed.
- Click the green 'Add Rating Scale' button.
- Complete the required information, noting the following:
- Title: Title is required and is what users will see when they build items and add scales so make it clear.
- Description: This is optional and is not often seen though the platform.
- Rating Scale Type: This defines the type of rating scale you are creating. Later, if you add rating scales to items, or add standard scales to form templates, you will first have to select a scale type. There is no user interface to configure rating scale types.
- In a default Elentra installation you'll likely just see a default scale type. In installations with CBE enabled you'll see global rating and milestone/enabling competency scales.
- Response Categories
- Add or remove response categories by clicking the plus and minus icons.
- For each response category, select a descriptor (these are configured through the assessment response categories). Note that you can search for descriptors by beginning to type the descriptor in the search box.
- Response Colour - use this when you build a Dashboard scale
- Response Character - use this when you build a Dashboard scale
- Response Preview - this displays what the icons will look like on the Learner Dashboard
- To edit an existing rating scale click on the scale title, make changes as needed, and click 'Save'.
- To delete a rating scale click the checkbox beside the rating scale and click 'Delete Rating Scale'.
Note that once a rating scale is in use, you are unable to delete it through the user interface. This is to prevent any changes to previously obtained assessment and evaluation results.
Once scales are created, they will become visible options when creating items and using some form templates.
Use of a scale when building an assessment/evaluation item
Setting permissions for a scale dictates which users will be able to access a scale when they create assessment and evaluation items. For example, if you set a scale's permissions to Undergraduate Medicine, all users with access to Admin > A & E in the undergraduate organisation will be able to use the scale when creating items. If you set a scale's permissions to several individual users, only those users will be able to access the scale when creating items.
You must create a scale before you can edit the permissions for it. After a scale is created you will automatically be redirected to the edit page.
- In the Rating Scale Information section, look for the Scale Permissions heading.
- Select Individual, Organisation, or Course from the dropdown options.
- Type in the search bar to find the appropriate entity.
- Click on the entity name to add it to the permission list.
Adding a scale permission
- Add as many permissions as required.
- Scroll down and click 'Save'.
Please note that some rating scale values will be ignored in the Weighted CSV Report. Values that will be ignored are:
- not applicable
- not observed
- did not attend
- please select